header info

To see what jewelry creations are currently available Click here!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'll be doing a jewelry show this weekend

Thanks for the nice comments, Janrik!

Unfortunately I still feel like photographing jewelry is like trying to trap smoke with your bare hands. Once in a while, I do get lucky, and I love those moments. What people see as my “really good photos of jewelry” is merely ten years of research and practice.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that even if you can’t have things flow as smoothly as you want and even if your photos aren’t up to whatever personal standard you’ve set, you can still come up with a VERY usable photo by just following a few common practices (a lot of those are covered in my upcoming ebook, but there’s also a TON of info on the internet… google is your friend).

In my research of SRA jewelry offered online, I’ve noticed there are two things that really stick out like sore thumbs in a way that will ALWAYS take sales away from the jewelry maker. And one of them is sub-par photos.

As to my equipment and set-up… I have a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS. But that’s a recent acquisition… for the first ten or eleven years of my jewelry selling career, I used a Nikon CoolPix 995. That camera was a 3.1 megapixel … and took photos like this:







So don’t ever let anyone tell you that you need 10 megapixels to have good online photos. Hogwash!

My set-up varies… depending on what I am shooting, my time constraints, my location constraints, and my mood.

For the majority of shots I use a light-diffusing photo cube:



The camera is always on a tripod.

I also show a way to make a $6 photo cube in these two blog posts:

Entry 1

Entry 2

Anyway, wanted to stop in here and explain why I’ve been rather scarce. I’m doing a show this weekend. I know… totally surprising, huh?

I hope to have updates and photos for you by early next week. Oh, and I’ll have be launching the new line next week too (as soon as I get photos and time to list).

All very exciting.

Well, here are some photos to entertain you until then.

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

funny pictures-Hurry n clean d'box!  I gotta' go!
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures


see more Lolcats and funny pictures

funny pictures-cat rule 67#  whats yours is theres and whats theirs is theirs
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks so much for your great reply to my question. I *was* a 1000markets seller, now will be on Zibbet and Cargoh and my own needing to be updated site; I thought I'd re-do my photos yet another time (for my new online home)since I am getting to hate mine (photos). I know my photos are not doing justice to my work!

    I digress: I've built 2 different boxes, still not the right one. I know what you mean about cameras, I used to use a Nikon 950 and got nice photos before it's main controller broke a second time!

    I'm going to go through your other posts and hopefully learn something. Truly, yours are really great.

    Oh, can I have that beautiful tuxedo?? Too cute and so are all your kitty pics!

    Have a great show this weekend. I can see yours will be another blog that I'll be following. Thanks again.

    Jan Van Diver

    ReplyDelete